Breakfast - My thoughts  

Posted by Sarah in , , , ,

Maybe is it my German heritage that has turned me into a breakfast enthusiast. In Germany breakfast truly is the most important meal, it is so important that they have it twice! In Germany when eating Frühstück, you can expect to see a variety of sausages & breads, multi-grain cereals similar to granola, jams, honey, fruits, and soft-boiled eggs. If you're not entirely stuffed from that, around 10:30 you'll be served Zweites Frühstück, or second breakfast, which consists of coffee, pastries, and what we often refer to as coffee cake.


Maybe it is my Italian heritage. Italians are known for their love of food. "Mangi! mangi!" (eat! eat! in Italian) was a common phrase around my house growing up. Food was the answer to everything. At my parents' house, food still is the answer to everything. I cannot visit my parents without my mother trying to load my car full of groceries because she is worried that I do not have enough to eat.

Whatever the reason, I grew up thinking breakfast was a multi-course meal. In my family breakfast started with fresh fruit, then came the juice along with bacon AND sausage, then came milk and the pancakes/waffles/egg dish/hot cereal, and to finish up, a nice hot cup of tea black tea. At the age of 27, I can honestly say that I have only eaten cold cereal for breakfast 20 or 30 times in my lifetime. Cereal is occasionally served as one of "courses" of breakfast, but it is rarely the entire breakfast.

Now knowing that I eat like that daily, you are probably picturing me as being over-weight. Even though my average breakfast contains over 800 calories, I am living proof that eating breakfast helps you to stay skinny. I am 5'5" and a size 4. But I am also very active and cannot seem to sit still to save my life.


This entry was posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 at Saturday, May 29, 2010 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment