Ultimate Skillet Cornbread  

Posted by Sarah in , , ,


Being from the north, cornbread in my mind is suppose to have a sweetness to it. When I've made cornbread in the past, I've made cornbreads that tasted great but simply did not stay together-forget crumbles, it looked like a plate of cornmeal. I've tried for southern-traditional recipes which provide a good texture but tasted like cardboard and lacked the sweetness that I feel needs to be there to offset a nice spicy bowl of chili.

I have looked at hundreds of cornbread recipes. All the recipes have c
ornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, milk, and some amount of eggs. Most have nothing more. I know that is the traditional southern cornbread and I can get those same results from a box. Not horrible, edible, yet nothing memorable.

As I continued to search, I found some that have yogurt or sour cream. Although I am sure this would be wonderful, they are not necessarily things that I have on hand all the time. Some have random spices. Spices could be good, but they would have to be adjusted accordingly to provide the proper accompaniment to the meal being served.

The recipe I created has a perfect sweetness that offsets the spiciness of chili, it has a slight crumble but does not disintegrate the moment you try to pick it up. It would be excellent with a tablespoon or two of fresh thyme or rosemary crushed and included in the mix.


1 C medium grind cornmeal (or a mixture of fine and course ground would work as well its what i used)
1 C all-purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 C buttermilk
1/3 C honey
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 C unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a 9inch cast iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes.

In a medium bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, buttermilk, honey, and eggs. Stir until just combined, the batter will be a little lumpy. Allow to sit for a few minutes until it starts to rise.

Place stick of butter into the hot skillet to melt and grease the skillet.

Stir in melted butter, leaving about 1 Tbs of butter in the skillet. Pour batter into the hot skillet and make 18-25 minutes.

Nutrition Facts Per Serving

Calories: 280

Fat: 13.4g

Protein: 4.9g

Fiber: 1.6g

Sugars: 12.6g

Vit A: 9%

Calcium: 11%

Vit C: 0%

Iron: 9%

Carbs: 37.0g


This entry was posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 at Sunday, July 18, 2010 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment