Lala's Gooey Brownie Pie  

Posted by Sarah in , ,

My fiancé has spent a year telling me about this chocolate pie that his grandmother use to make when he was little. His mother doesn't have a clue, his grandmother cannot remember, his sister called it a chess pie, his aunt swiped the recipe book and refuses to share...this leaves me with the following description: "It was chocolate, looked like a brownie on top, but was gooey in the middle.It wasn't like a pudding or custard pie, more like a half cooked brownie. Oh and it had pecans on the top."

Last summer I started searching out chocolate chess pie recipes. After hours of Googling, numerous recipe books being searched through in the library, and a few dozen different attempts, I think I have figured out this mystery pie. My biggest struggle has been that I was searching for chess pies, and this is not a chess pie. (Chess pies are made simply from eggs, sugar, butter, flour/cornmeal, and flavoring.) So I went about creating my own recipe, and it turned out extremely yummy!







1 1/2 C Sugar
4 Tbs cocoa powder
1/2 C butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
5 ounces evaporated milk
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 C chopped pecans (optional)
2 Tbs dark corn syrup





Preheat oven to 350.

In a medium bowl, mix together butter, sugar, and cocoa. Add in eggs and beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Pour in evaporated milk and vanilla and mix on lowest speed for 1 minute, or until thoroughly mixed. Mix in chopped pecans.

Pour into a 9-inch pie shell. Arrange pecan halves on top (if desired). Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven, brush corn syrup over the top, place back in oven for additional 5 minutes.

Allow to cool completely before serving.

This entry was posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 at Friday, July 16, 2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment